Custom Search

Friday, 14 November 2014

Pommes Anna

So I was lying on the sofa reading a book with my mind wandering toward food.  I had bought some lovely fresh plaice for dinner after spotting them on the fish counter.  It's sometimes great to go shopping for dinner with absolutely no idea of what you fancy or what you're going to buy.  So I had seen these lovely fresh plaice and bought 3 of them and then a piece of salmon tail to do something with to accompany the plaice.

Anyway back to the wandering mind!  I wanted a potato dish to compliment those plaice and was thinking about some kind of potato cake but knew that wasn't right.  And then it dawned - Pommes Anna.  Anna's potatoes (I think the French sounds so much better) and before you ask I have absolutely no idea who Anna is or was!  But it is a classic potato dish and here's how.

Basically pommes Anna are thinly sliced potatoes layered with butter and seasoning and cooked in the oven. I added some sweet potato into my version, only because I had one and I like the flavour and texture.

Peel your potatoes and slice them thinly, ideally on a mandolin, and rinse them with cold water to remove some starch.  If you have a skillet pan or other pan that can go in the oven this is perfect for layering the potatoes.

Melt about 50 - 60 g of butter and brush some over the base of your pan.  Start layering the potatoes, buttering each layer and adding some seasoning.

Either put a lid over the pan or a sheet of greaseproof to keep the moisture in and place in a pre-heated oven at 200C.  Cook for 35 - 45 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.

Turn the potatoes out onto a plate or chopping board.